22 Sept 2010

That Day of the Year

September – a big month in our household. Mom’s b’day, Champions league T20 cricket, Hubby’s B’day; too many busy days and too less time!! It has been circa 6 years since we got married and I am running out of options to please my hubby with varied gifts. I finally decided to stick to the basics; T-Shirt and perfume and walked into “The Perfume Shop”. “Exquisite but not Expensive” I heard me say to the saleswoman, who in-turn threw me a “You Wish” look. “Come on! I am not demanding Chanel for £20 budget; a Gucci or Armani will do!” screamed my ego. In return she came up with some liquid in a miniature milk-can with a brand name I’ve never heard of; which she bragged too much about. For some reason I’ve given her the impression that I am a perfume virgin. She made me believe that the milk-can is the ONE for my man.

Adding that to my shopping basket, I started fishing in women’s section. Again she came up with unknown/mediocre products and this time I exactly saw what she was doing. She was teaching me a valuable lesson: Never ask a sales assistant “some” perfume for “some” budget. Go to shop with specifics. Hit with sudden enlightenment I said “Armani Diamonds”. She looked surprised that I can speak brands. With no intension to take the milk-can home I requested to be removed from the bill.

I am sure she was doing what she was told, MINUS a friendly attitude. I could have succumbed to her marketing skills, if she would have worn that trademark smile, every shopping assistant should. Instead she was killing the pleasure of my shopping with her heavy attitude. While stepping outside “The Perfume Shop” I realised that unknowingly I shopped for me instead of my Hubby :) It happens – in a woman’s world. Marks and Spencer’s however came to my rescue. I picked a trendy T-Shirt and small perfume bottle from the classy store.

Every year, to mark our phenomenal entry to this world, we cut cakes and share gifts at night 12 o’clock; it is a tradition - something like having turkey during thanksgiving. The next day we decided to dine fine with wine and chose “Jamie Oliver’s Italian” restaurant in Canary Wharf. For someone who was expecting a routine Italian menu with pizza and lasagne, it was full of surprises. First, The Menu Card – items with innovation and difference. Second, The Quality of food – having huge admiration for Italian cuisine I vouch that I have never tasted Italian dishes with such taste before; it was very unique. Third, The Price – for a restaurant situated in prime location in Canary Wharf owned by a celebrity with tasty menu items, it’s pretty reasonable. Finally, The food portions – for some people this may be a let down, but for me it was just perfect.

I ordered Italian nachos with angry arrabiata sauce (just awesome) and a MUSHROOM PANZEROTTI. My hubby fed on Lamb chop lollipops. On the whole, I loved spending 2 hours with the company of good food and of-course my hubby.

At the end, my hubby was probing on when I would stop this style of celebrating b’days. To be frank, I do not know. Every year these occasions give me immense happiness. I wish this tradition continues from me to my off-springs and last till the end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment